Monday, November 3, 2008

It's Never Too Late to become a New You

"I haven't got the time" . . . "I haven't got the ability". . . "I'm too old".

Think about the excuses you use in your life. Then think about what you're missing in your life.

Consider what you could do, if you were more creative with making things happen rather than finding excuses for not achieving your life's dream.

I thought about this just yesterday.

My day started like most others. A flurry of activity, with one eye on a deadline and another eye on the ringing phone.No matter how busy you are, there's always time for procrastination, if you allow for it, right?

Well, yesterday of all days, I didn't have the time to waste. I had to finish a piece of writing I promised to a client, and I had to plan several other activities that were also pending. The last thing I should have been doing was going through an archive of work I had laid to rest six years earlier. But that's where my mouse wandered and that's what I found myself reading when I should have been writing.

It was an old novel I had started in haste and never finished. It had been on my mind a lot lately, having spoken about it to a friend recently. I knew I had to write this book. It was one of those works that was dear to my heart. But I had used the same excuses for the past six years. "I haven't got the time". It's well used but still works for most of people.

Sure, there are more "important" priorities in my working life. I have two offline businesses to run as well as two Web sites to maintain. Sure, I enjoy working on all of them, but there's not the same passion I have for my book. It's aching to be born into the world.

And that's what I have decided to do. Give it life.

It's not going to be easy, but it is going to happen, simply by scheduling time for it, like I would any other regular activity.

I have a few major projects to undertake and complete, but I now have planned to begin work on the book at a specific time later this year. And it will happen. It's in the diary ~ in pen, not pencil ~ so there's no turning back.

There's an interesting thing that happens every time I draw a line in the sand and commit myself. I find that after the initial struggle, life somehow gets easier for me. I find that the more time I think about my goal, the more things just fall into place.

In my case, I have discovered a lot of 'coincidences' relating to my novel. Mine is a political thriller set in recent history. And interestingly there have been a number of media reports lately that have given me fresh ideas and information. And also there's a new rash of movies and books which address recent events. While they may not relate to my era in history, they do give me inspiration on how I can blend fact with fiction.

It's 'funny' how these things just pop up now, isn't it?

Well, not really.

It's all a matter of awareness. Now that I am thinking about the book, it is as though I have raised an antenna and I am now tuned into ideas and opportunities relating to my new project.

Likewise, I am finding that I am now attracting people into my life who can add value to my project ~ researchers, journalists and new writer friends who are nudging me in the right direction.

You can do the same thing with your dream.

Once you have established a goal, thinking about it will keep it top of mind throughout the day, and that will enable your conscious mind to raise your attenna while working out ways of helping you achieve your goal.

But the best results come when you work with both of your minds. When you visualize your goal every night before going to sleep, your subconscious mind will work overtime, helping find solutions for you.

There's an old French axiom ~ "Night brings counsel" ~ and it's true for writers too.

Enlightened writers will tell you that 'sleeping on it' can produce incredible results. Your subconscious is a veritable well of information, inspiration and motivation ~ and all of this can be used to help you achieve your goal.

But, like everything, the first step must come from you. Take the leap today. Commit yourself to something you want to do, rather than something you have to do.

You'll find the moment you are truly serious about it, your life will change. If you are half-hearted about your goal, you'll get half-hearted results from life.

Forget the excuses, ignore the muse and set your dreams in motion.

You'll never be the same.

No comments: